Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Success when doctors said "No" !!!!!!

I thought I would use this post to brag on my hubby a little and to tell you all a wonderful success story. Several years ago, my husband began to develop some chronic medical issues due to an accident he was involved in, in 1996. What started as a few minor problems, grew into major issues partly due to the medications he was having to take. One of his main struggles was with his weight. Between not being able to exercise and taking prescriptions that cause weight gain, he had put on about 50 or 60 lbs. We had tried sooooo many things to bring his weight down, but we were told by the doctors that until he came off all of his meds and was able to begin a regular exercise routine, he would never lose the weight. This was very discouraging to both of us because it seemed as if it would take forever for him to come off even one of the medications completely. We were at a loss!!! Added weight equals added pain and more health issues (high blood pressure, cholesterol issues, etc...)

About a year ago, my 14 year old daughter made a decision to become a vegetarian- for animal rights reasons. She had been trying very hard to convince our entire family to give up meat too! I have always been interested in healthy living and have TONS of "Diet" or "Healthy Lifestyle" books, but I had never truly considered vegetarianism or veganism to be a healthy way of eating. My daughter's new found sense of activism, prompted me to do some research about becoming a veggie from a nutritional aspect. I wanted to be sure she wasn't going to die from a nutritional deficiency of some sort (LOL!!!). Then I found Alicia Silverstone's book The Kind Diet!!! This opened up a whole new world for our family!!

Soooo, in late October/ early November, my husband (and our entire crew) began his Vegan journey. Please understand that my hubby is a steak and potatoes kinda man! He loved dairy and meat and never for one minute thought he could give it up!! But, when you've suffered for as long as he had, you'll try just about anything to get some relief!!

I am happy to report that after a trip to the doctor today for a wellness check-up, he has officially lost 30lbs in 4 months!! Only 30 more to go!!!! This was done entirely by giving up meat and dairy!! Nothing else in his life or ours has changed. He is still eating the same portion sizes as he always has (snacks and desserts included). He is still taking the meds that cause weight gain. He still has been unable to increase the amount of exercise he gets each day. All other factors remain the same and yet 30 pounds are gone!! Even his doctor was surprised by the success of our diet :-) I am sooooooo proud of him for giving it a shot and for sticking with it!!

I just wanted to share his success with all of you to encourage anyone out there who is struggling with weight issues and feels that there is no hope!! If my husband can do it, you can too!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment