Friday, February 26, 2010

A look back ...

TGIF!!! Just a recap on a few things I've learned or done this week.

I began using my new cookbook: Veganomicon. We tried out the vegan lasagne and it was AWESOME!!!!! The kids and I fought over who would get the left overs for breakfast the next morning. I am going to try to cook at least one new recipe out of it each week, until we have a total of 3 weeks menus with no repetition!! I really think I am going to like this book ALOT!!!

Whatelse..... I learned about a new type of winter fruit. It's called a Cherimoya. Here is the Wikipedia definition: "The cherimoya (Annona cherimola) is a species of Annona native to the Andean-highland valleys of Chile, Ecuador and Peru. It is a deciduous or semi-evergreen shrub or small tree reaching 7 m tall. The leaves are alternate, simple, oblong-lanceolate, 7–15 cm long and 6–10 cm broad. The flowers are produced in small clusters, each flower 2–3 cm across, with six petals, yellow-brown, often spotted purple at the base. The fruit is oval, often slightly oblique, 10–20 cm long and 7–10 cm diameter, with a smooth or slightly tuberculated skin. The fruit flesh is white, and has numerous seeds embedded in it. Mark Twain called the cherimoya "the most delicious fruit known to men." "

I'm not sure where to find these around where we live, but they definitely look yummy! Here is the link to a video explaining how to peel and eat one of these:
http://www.youtube.com/user/rawsynergytv#p/u/1/01TJr8xschM

Let me see, is there anythingelse? I'm continuing to read and study a lot about the raw food diet. I think I've decided that I prefer this diet over the macrobiotic one. Although, I do think that as long as we live where it's sooo cold in the winter, I will never go 100% raw, but I'll strive for at least 75%.

If you're interested in some really great raw vegan videos, here are a few people I subscribe to on Youtube.com ☺









Well, I guess that about does it for this week's little tidbits.. Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment