Friday, March 5, 2010

Water

I've decided to pick one healthy habit to focus on each week. This way things don't begin to feel overwhelming. One of the habits I have gotten out of over the last several months is drinking plenty of water. I've been drinking soooo much teeccino, kukicha tea, and green smoothies, that a lot of days I will end up only drinking a very small amount of water. Even though all three of those things are  very good for me, nothing can replace pure water! I've noticed that since I've cut back on my water consumption, my skin feels drier and more prone to break outs and wrinkles. Sooooo, this week I am working on getting more water into my diet.

How much water do I need? The typical rule for water consumption is 1/2 of an ounce per pound of body weight. So, for a person weighing 120lbs, you would need around 60 ounces. My personal feeling on the proper amount is to listen to your body. If you eat a lot of raw foods or green juices, you are getting a lot of fluids into your body. So, you may not need as much water as someone who eats mostly cooked foods and drinks a lot of sugary drinks. One thing you should definitely keep in mind is that teas, coffees, and sodas do not count toward your daily water intake! They can actually be dehydrators!

As far as the type of water that is best for your health. I've heard a lot of wonderful things about fresh spring water. That seems to be the type most recommended by alternative health practicioners. Just remember, when drinking spring water, you have to be very careful of where that water came from and how it is packaged and delivered to you. Plastic containers leach all types of chemicals into the water. If you are going to drink spring water, it is best to get it fresh from the source and store it in a glass bottle. 

Our family has opted for filtered water for now. We do not have the luxury of local spring water and there is sooooo much nasty stuff in city or tap water! So, about 10 years ago, we began using the New Wave 10 stage filter. After cleaning the water, the New Wave neutralizes or balances its pH. This is very important. You do not want to drink water that is too acidic. An acidic body is prone to sickness and disease! We have been very happy with our New Wave filters!

If you are interested in learning more about the New Wave or if you'd like to purchase one for yourself, here's a link to the online store from which we buy them:

http://www.vitacost.com/New-Wave-Enviro-10-Stage-Water-Filter

No comments:

Post a Comment